5 Benefits of Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney for Your Case
The sudden death of a loved one is shocking, confusing and painful. Even more so if the death occurred due to the negligence of someone else, as you also carry the weight of considering whether to pursue a wrongful death claim. In such a claim, an attorney can help the surviving family members or beneficiaries receive compensation as a result of the defendant’s wrongful act.
Understanding Wrongful Death Claims
A wrongful death claim is different than a negligence lawsuit, which is filed by the person injured. In a wrongful death lawsuit, the surviving family members appoint a “trustee” to pursue the action on behalf of the dependents and beneficiaries. Minnesota law recognizes wrongful death as a claim that compensates persons who may have been damaged by the death of a loved one.
Our experienced attorneys have learned that determining what caused the wrongful death delivers closure to family members after a loss. No amount of money can make up for the accidental death of a family member. However, our law firm works closely with family members while making every attempt to recover compensation for harms and losses suffered while they move on without their loved one.
The Top 5 Reasons to Hire a Wrongful Death Attorney
A wrongful death occurs due to the oversight, carelessness or deliberate act of someone else. Most of the time, these deaths could have been prevented with more care. Some of the most common causes of wrongful death include car accidents, semi truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, bike crashes, carbon monoxide exposure and workplace accidents.
In these cases, a wrongful death attorney can be critical for the success of your claim. Wrongful death attorneys:
- Possess the experience required to succeed. The laws surrounding wrongful death cases can be complex. Attorneys have the experience necessary to navigate even the toughest wrongful death cases, helping you fight for the outcome you deserve.
- Advise you on which steps to take next. Everything you do from speaking with your loved one’s insurance company to figuring out what to do with their estate benefits from an attorney’s guidance. An attorney will show you the steps to take that will benefit you the most.
- Know how to negotiate. Your attorney has probably been a part of many cases similar to yours. Using this experience, they can negotiate on your behalf with each party involved in your case to seek a just settlement.
- Focus on your claim, so you can focus on healing. Losing a loved one is emotionally and physically draining. An attorney can focus on your claim while you take time to grieve and heal from your loss.
- Understand the value of your claim. There are many types of damages you may be able to claim such as funeral expenses, loss of companionship and more. An attorney can help you value your claim correctly, ensuring you receive what it’s worth.
Reach Out to an Experienced Wrongful Death Attorney
You don’t have to go through your loss alone. A wrongful death attorney can help you as you heal. To learn more about wrongful death compensation or to speak with us about your case, send us a message.