Freeway & Highway Accident Attorney Serving the Twin Cities
Surrounding the Twin Cities are several major freeways, including the often-congested I-35 and I-94. Many auto accidents occur on these freeways and other highways throughout Minnesota each year.
Serious Injuries & Fatal Highway Accident Statistics
The US Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, reports that there were approximately 7,277,000 total highway traffic accidents in 2017. Total fatalities in traffic accidents that year equaled about 37,133, with the total number of injured individuals equaling 2,746,000, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Looking closer to home, more than 200 people lost their lives on Minnesota highways and freeways, with tens of thousands of others suffering severe injuries. These injuries are often life-altering, leaving the victims to deal with the aftereffects for the rest of their lives.
What Causes Highway Accidents?
Highway accidents are often caused by:
- Distracted driving: Drivers who use their mobile devices, eat or perform other activities while driving fail to pay attention to their surroundings.
- Driver fatigue: Driving for hours at a time without stopping causes drowsiness that affects a driver’s ability to drive defensively.
- Intoxicated driving: Those under the influence of drugs or alcohol are unable to think ahead and make quick decisions, often resulting in otherwise-avoidable accidents.
- Speeding: Speeding, changing lanes too quickly or simply driving aggressively often cause catastrophic accidents.
What to Do After a Freeway or Highway Accident
To best protect yourself and your family, it’s important to know what to do should an accident occur. If you’re alert after your accident, follow these steps:
- Call 911: First things first, call for help. You need medical attention, even if you can’t see or feel any immediate injuries. Plus, a police report should be filed regarding your accident.
- Move away from danger: If you’re able, move to a safer location to avoid further injury.
- Collect information: Take a look at your surroundings. If you can, take photos with your mobile device and jot down any details you remember about the accident. If there’s another party involved or witnesses around, you can try collecting their information as well.
- Call your insurance company: You’ll need to file a claim with your insurance copy for your vehicle damages and your injuries.
When speaking to anyone about your accident—the other driver(s), the insurance company or even the police—do note admit fault for the accident. Speak to an attorney first.
Reach Out to an Experienced Highway Accident Attorney
Are your injuries extensive? Are you unsure how you’re going to pay for your medical bills? Are you out of work due to your accident? Reach out to an experienced highway accident attorney. We can help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries, pain and suffering.
“Upon being injured in an automobile accident and beginning to be swept into the nameless, faceless insurance machine, I sought the services of Dan Brazil. I met with Dan to determine what my options were, and his knowledge and expertise was unquestionable. I knew I would be well taken care of with the options presented to me.”
Request Your Free Consultation
By clicking ‘Submit’ I verify that I have read the disclaimer.
Call Us to Schedule a Free Consultation Today
At Brazil Law Group in Minneapolis, we are here to help you navigate the aftermath of your highway or freeway accident, seeking the compensation you deserve and need to get back to good health. Call us today at 612‑874‑6109 to schedule your free consultation or send us a message.